A good-looking publication ... how do I get started?
You are already familiar with graphics software. But with that knowledge you still can't make beautiful designs. How do you create an eye-catching publication with a nice layout that is really appealing?
During this training course you will learn:
- How to assess a layout
- What is important when creating a layout
- What layout is the most effective
Learn to understand the layout of a publication
After completing this course:
- You will know more about the principles of design.
- You will understand the importance of typography and colours.
- You will be able to design and use a house-style.
Layouts for users of Adobe InDesign
The training course is intended for employees who are responsible for graphic design within their organisation, but have little or no prior knowledge of graphics.
We expect that you can work with InDesign or Illustrator (possibly PhotoShop (Elements) for digital publications).
Bring along the following information and documentation:
- Some publications (magazines, posters, web sites, etc. ) that you like
- Some publications (magazines, posters, web sites, etc. ) that you DON'T like
- Some of your own publications (if you have them)
- House-style guidelines and logo of your organisation
- Looking at design
- Pointing out the most important aspects
- What feeling do you get when you look at a publication?
- What works well and what does not, and why?
Basic rules for lay-outs
- Constructing a page
- How do you construct a layout?
- The role and applications of fonts
- How and where do you position your text?
- How do you choose your colours?
- How do you combine your colours?
Working with a house style
- How do you create a publication from an existing house style?
- What is possible and what is not within a house style?
- Design a business card
- Create the cover and an inside page of a cookbook
- Design a poster
- Final assignment: create a publication in your own house style